A man has been arrested after a gun was fired outside a mosque in east London during Ramadan prayers.
Police were called to reports of a man with a firearm entering the Seven Kings Masjid in Ilford at 22:45 BST on 9 May.
A 28-year-old man was arrested earlier on suspicion of possessing a firearm with intent to cause fear or violence, possession with intent to supply, and assaulting a police officer.
Evidence suggested the weapon was a blank-firing handgun, police said.
Nobody was hurt in the incident. The arrested man remains in custody.
A climate change protest which blocked entrances to BP’s head office in central London has now ended.
The Greenpeace activists had placed five large steel containers outside each of the entrances to the building in St James’s Square.
Kitted out with food, a chemical toilet and internet access, each box contained two protesters who were expected to remain in place for several days.
But Met Police officers removed them in the early evening, making 10 arrests.
Earlier, four people were arrested on suspicion of aggravated trespass after protesters abseiled down side of the building to block windows and display banners.
The aim of the protest was to keep BP’s headquarters closed “for at least the whole of this AGM week”, Greenpeace said.
The company’s annual general meeting is set to take place in Aberdeen on Tuesday.
Activists want BP to end exploration for oil and gas, and only invest in renewable energy.
In a statement, BP said: “We welcome discussion, debate, even peaceful protest on the important matter of how we must all work together to address the climate challenge, but impeding safe entry and exit from an office building in this way is dangerous and clearly a matter for the police to resolve as swiftly as possible.”
Tottenham have “grave concerns” over whether Uefa acted strongly enough after their fans reported being attacked by Barcelona stewards at a Champions League match.
The La Liga side were fined 20,000 euros (£17,546) on Friday for “insufficient organisation” during December’s group game.
Video footage emerged after the 1-1 draw that appeared to show fans being struck with batons inside the ground.
The club and fans sent details to Uefa.
Other fans were filmed getting struck on the way into the Nou Camp.
“We have grave concerns that the punishment imposed will not act as enough of a deterrent to avoid a repeat,” said the Champions League finalists in a statement.
“The treatment our fans was completely unacceptable, something Uefa has acknowledged, and some are still recovering as a result of this ordeal.
“No visiting supporters should have to experience what our fans went through that night again.”
Uefa’s fine was imposed on the day that Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino was given a one-match ban – suspended for 12 months – linked to the delayed start of the Champions League semi-final first leg against Ajax.
The Tottenham Hotspur Supporters’ Trust said there had been “unprovoked and indiscriminate” assaults on fans and it planned to take legal advice.
“We submitted a detailed dossier of accounts from supporters who were caught up in that night’s violence,” it said.
“This decision by Uefa sends clear signals. It says supporters are fair game for security staff to do what they want to.
“It says that broadcast rights and kick-off times are more important than supporter safety. And it says Uefa is unfit for purpose.”
Uefa and Barcelona have not commented on the statements.
Spurs, who will contest the Champions League final against Liverpool in Madrid on 1 June, were fined 10,000 euros (£8.758) for a delayed start to their home semi-final match against Ajax.
Chelsea midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek will miss the Europa League final after rupturing his Achilles tendon in a charity friendly in the USA.
The 23-year-old went down clutching his left ankle in the first half of Chelsea’s 3-0 win over New England Revolution at Gillette Stadium.
Chelsea said the player had seen a specialist on Thursday and will now have surgery.
Chelsea play Arsenal in the final in Baku on Wednesday, 29 May.
England manager Gareth Southgate had earlier confirmed Loftus-Cheek would miss the final when announcing his squad for the forthcoming Nations League finals.
The player had been in the squad – but Southgate was forced to call up a replacement after learning of his injury.
“I went to bed last night and Ruben’s in the squad and playing brilliantly,” Southgate said.
“He misses now a major European final and a brilliant opportunity for us.”
He added it was a “huge disappointment” for the Chelsea man.
Loftus-Cheek scored in the second leg of the Blues’ Europa League semi-final against Eintracht Frankfurt and has been directly involved in nine goals in his past 15 competitive appearances for Chelsea.
Wednesday’s friendly raised £3.1m for organisations which combat hate crimes.
Ross Barkley scored twice either side of an Olivier Giroud header in the comfortable win in Foxborough.
Prior to the game, Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri had expressed his concerns about travelling to the US so close to a major European final.
Britain’s Cameron Norrie was knocked out in the second round of the Italian Open following a 6-2 6-2 defeat by 13th seed Borna Coric.
Norrie, 23, was the only British male to make it through to the second round after beating Australia’s John Millman.
Coric converted two of his four break points to win the opening set and broke again twice in the second to win in less than an hour in Rome.
The Croat will face Swiss Roger Federer or Portugal’s Joao Sousa next.
British number one Johanna Konta takes on American seventh seed Sloane Stephens in the women’s second round on Wednesday.
Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri says the club must respect Eden Hazard’s decision about his future but is hopeful the forward will choose to stay at Stamford Bridge.
Hazard has scored 16 goals for the Blues this season and has been strongly linked with a summer move to Spanish giants Real Madrid.
The 28-year-old says he has made a decision over his future and has informed the club.
“I hope he will stay,” said Sarri.
“I think Eden has played here in Chelsea for seven seasons, trying in every match to do his best and now it’s time to respect his decision.”
Hazard has just a year left on his contract having joined from Lille for £32m in 2012.
Chelsea fans held up a banner before Sunday’s Premier League finale against Leicester, pleading with the Belgian to stay.
After a substitute appearance in Sunday’s 0-0 draw at Leicester the Belgium international revealed he has made the club aware of his decision.
“Yes. A couple of weeks ago. Yes I have made my decision but it is not just about me,” said Hazard. “I have made my decision, that’s it.”
When asked if his future will become clear after the Europa League final against Arsenal on 29 May he added: “I think so. We have a final to play and then I will see.”
Hazard also admitted he wanted his future resolved earlier to avoid it being the season-long saga it has become.
“Yes, I wanted that but that’s not happened. I’m still waiting like you are waiting and like the fans are waiting,” he said.
“When you are on the pitch, you try to be focused on the pitch with the ball. That’s it. When I am on the pitch I just try to do the best.
“I am not thinking about this and this, my situation or the club’s situation. I just try to win games.”
Sunday’s point means the Blues finish the domestic campaign in third place after Tottenham drew 2-2 with Everton.
Next up is the Europa League final in Baku, Azerbaijan.
“The season is good,” added Sarri.
“We were in trouble two or three months ago but third place is a very good result.
“Now we have to go to Baku for the Europa League final and we have the chance for our season to be wonderful.”
Chelsea defender David Luiz has signed a new two-year contract at the club, running until 2021.
The Brazilian, 32, is out of contract at the end of June meaning he could have left for free in the summer.
Luiz made his 48th Chelsea appearance of the season in Thursday’s penalty shootout win over Eintracht Frankfurt in the Europa League semi-finals.
“I am so happy to be here and to have this opportunity to stay,” the centre-back said.
“I love this club and I still have the ambition of a young player.”
Luiz joined Chelsea from Benfica in January 2011 but left to join Paris St-Germain in 2014 before returning to Stamford Bridge for £34m in 2016.
“It means a lot to reach another European final, and we still have the opportunity to finish in the top three of the Premier League this season and I will continue to try to do my best to help the team,” Luiz added.
The mother of a woman who fell to her death from a balcony has lost a High Court challenge against a decision not to prosecute her daughter’s boyfriend.
Jourdain John-Baptiste was 22 when she fell from her fourth-floor flat in Enfield, north London, in August 2015.
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) brought no charges against her boyfriend, which lawyers for her family claimed was “irrational”.
But Lord Chief Justice Lord Burnett said the CPS decision was “reasonable”.
After the hearing, her mother Tracey John-Baptiste said: “We have lost my beautiful daughter and now we have lost the chance to get justice.
“Even those against prosecuting in the CPS recognise this is a finely-balanced decision.
“Why not put this to the jury who can hear all the witnesses and decide?”
The boyfriend, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was in the flat with Ms John-Baptiste at the time of the fall and last year her mother told the BBC witnesses said they heard the couple arguing.
Mrs John-Baptiste asked for the CPS decision not to prosecute to be reviewed and was told initially there ought to be a prosecution, which a senior prosecutor revised.
At an earlier hearing in London, the family’s barrister Karon Monaghan QC said there was “ample evidence” to support a prosecution, and there was a “threatening” text message on Ms John-Baptiste’s phone from her boyfriend saying: “When I see u again I’ll drop you.”
Ms Monaghan said the prosecutor who made the final decision based it on an “unevidenced and gendered assumption” that Ms John-Baptiste may have slipped in a state of “high emotion”.
But judges, who were asked to quash the decision, said it was “impossible” to conclude the decision was “wrong in law”.
Lord Burnett said a jury would be invited to say “the only realistic explanation for Ms John-Baptiste’s fall was that she was fleeing from a threat of violence”, which he said all involved accepted “was one possible explanation”.
“But the question for the decision-makers was whether it was more likely than not that a jury would reach that conclusion at the end of a criminal trial,” he added.
A CPS spokesman said: “We understand how difficult this has been for the family. We considered all the information given to us by the police investigation.
“We can only prosecute an offence when there is sufficient evidence to do so.
“The original decision has now been tested by a Victim’s Right to Review scheme (VRR) and now by a High Court hearing.”
A man arrested over the abduction and rape of three women in and around London is being investigated for other attacks involving nine further victims.
Joseph McCann, 34, was arrested in Congleton, Cheshire, after two girls, aged 14, were abducted in the town.
He is being investigated over attacks in Cheshire, Manchester and Lancashire, on victims aged between 11 and 71.
Det Ch Insp Katherine Goodwin, of the Metropolitan Police, said the attacks were “grotesque and horrifying”.
The officer urged other victims to come forward and said police wanted to hear from anyone who had been approached by Mr McCann or in contact with him between February and May.
Mr McCann was found in a tree in Smithy Lane on Sunday evening and arrested after a stand-off with police negotiators.
He had been spotted in the town after two girls were forced into a car that afternoon.
Met detectives are now investigating him in connection with a number of other attacks earlier that day.
These include the false imprisonment of a woman in Haslingden, Lancashire, in which a teenage girl and a boy, 11, were raped and the abduction and rape of a 71-year-old in Bury, Manchester.
The suspect is also being investigated over the abduction of two 13-year-old boys and the abduction and sexual assault of a 13-year-old girl in Heywood, Manchester, at about 15:30 BST on Sunday.
Det Ch Insp Goodwin said the attacks were believed to have taken place between 21 April and 5 May.
“Detectives from the Met continue to lead on this investigation and are working very closely with policing counterparts where he is suspected to have carried out further offences,” she said.
Mr McCann was also wanted for questioning over the abduction and rape of a 21-year-old woman at knifepoint in Watford, Hertfordshire, in the early hours of 21 April.
The Met Police launched an appeal to find Mr McCann after two women in their 20s were snatched off streets in London and raped in a car in London on 25 April.
Manchester City completed a domestic cup double as they eventually overpowered West Ham at Wembley to lift the Women’s FA Cup for a second time in three years.
England midfielder Keira Walsh’s bouncing strike from outside the area put City ahead in the second half, after major final debutants West Ham had initially defied their underdog status with an impressive first-half display.
Late goals from City youngsters Georgia Stanway and Lauren Hemp completed the win, securing the club’s sixth major trophy.
Victory also saw Nick Cushing’s side move within one match of completing an entire domestic season unbeaten, as they added to February’s League Cup success.
The Hammers, who reached the final in their first season as a professional side – less than a year after leaping up from the third division with a successful top-tier licence application last summer – had threatened to pull off a shock win, creating the best chance of the first half.
But City – who had not conceded a goal in the FA cup this season – showed their class and experience after the break and could have added to their tally in the final moments.
The crowd of 43,264 at England’s national stadium fell just short of last season’s competition record of 45,423, but was nevertheless still one of the largest for a club-level women’s game in Europe in the modern era.
All of City’s six major trophies have come since 2014 under the management of Nick Cushing and they will finish the season without losing a single domestic game if they can avoid defeat away at Women’s Super League winners Arsenal next Saturday.
More to follow.